07.08.2023 - 18.08.2023
Eight Lakes Trek
07.08.2023 - 18.08.2023
on horse a day
1. Day: Drive to Kahkhorin, the former capital city of Mongolia, 365km and around 5 to 6 hours driving from Ulaanbaatar
Visit of the Monastery and Museum of Kahkorin in the afternoon. Overnight stay in a Ger Camp in Kahkorin. Camel riding.
2. Day: Drive to the Orkhan Waterfall
Car drive through the Orkhan valley to the waterfalls, 120km dirt road and around 5 to 6 hours car drive. Sight-seeing of the waterfall.
Overnight stay in a Ger Camp.
3. Day: Begin of the horse trek to the 8 lakes
Horse riding through lovely forests, crossing rivers, the steppe and over a pass which will lead into the highlands of the 8 lakes. In total around 35km, overnight stay in tents at the first lake.
4. and 5. Day: Riding to the biggest of the 8 lakes
We will ride to the biggest lake with our pack horses, around 20km where we will set up our next tent camp. We will spend the afternoon climbing and swimming in the lake. On request and with good weather we can stay a full day. Horse-riding to the remaining lakes in wonderful countryside.
6. Day : leaving the highlands oft he 8 lakes over a mountain pass into the Uliagastein river valley
Recovered, we will get back into the saddle and ride back over a different pass, which will lead us into a fabulous valley, scattered with lava stones and continue on into the Uliagastein river valley. Overnight stay in tents, around 35 to 40km of riding.
7. Day: Riding in the Ulangastein river valley
Along the beautiful Ulangastein river, we will be riding another 25 to 35km.
8. Day: Over magnificent hilly landscapes back tot he Ger Camp at the Waterfall
Beautiful ride through the hilly landscapes, forests and valleys.
9. Day: Drive back until the Hustai National Park
Around 7 to 8 hours car drive to a Gar Camp, not far from Hustai National Park.
10. Day: Sight-seeing in the Hustai National Park
Sight-seeing in the famous Hustai National park, where we will see Deer and the Takki horses. Departure around 6am, in order to see as many animals as possible. Arrival in Ulaanbaatar in the late afternoon.
Price per Person: 2’800.– USD
We highly recommend arranging an annulation or travel cancellation insurance.
– 3 ½ Day of drive
– 6 Days of Horse riding with Mongolian crew
– 4 overnight stays in Ger Camps
– 3 meals per day (Vegetarian meals possible on request)
– German & English-speaking travel guide
– Personal expenses
Please note: This schedule is subject to change at any time.
Weather conditions in Mongolia are often unpredictable. Flexibility and endurance are thus essential for a horseback riding.